let me SPEAK

PZ-NOOB

This is a strange mod request but I would love it if (on single player) our player could talk to himself. still keeping the shout button but having him talk to himself, for example: if he ran out of water he would say something like "no more water" (obviously more creative xD) and things of that nature. I mean if I was alone in a zombie apocalypse and had no one to talk to I would talk to myself all the time, right?

So, thoughts? is this even possible? I assume it is, from a (not that) ancient taunts mod. but IDK

Edited by PZ-NOOB

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea.  I can't mod, so I wouldn't be able to help, but I'd certainly want a mod like this.  Running out of water isn't too bad, since the first moodle is only slight thirst and doesn't affect your stats.  But, say, running out of ammo?  Yeah, totally helpful.  It's not even the zombie apocalypse and I still talk to myself IRL.  I can see our characters talking to themselves.  If your shotgun is out of ammo, they would say "I need to reload", or if you don't have any shells at all, they would say "Crap, I'm out of ammo!"

+1

• 3 weeks later...

I love this idea. I'll try to make this a thing.

Warning: The incoming text wall hidden behind the spoiler tag is huge, because I got pretty carried away with what I'm going to add when I realized I could strip down Cheat Menu and have a flexible core. It's really disordered, because I kept thinking of things I could do and adding the idea to the post.

I could look into how I could handle user input in a user friendly way, so it's possible I could just add a chat bar like CzarUltra suggested. It could also allow a framework for singleplayer admin commands, meaning users would be able to set up roleplay things like a sudden strike of thunder, a helicopter noise, an exact number of zombies to be spawned (instead of like my Cheat Menu, which only allows a set number of zombies to be spawned due to the size limits of context menus), or adding a specific item (like "/additem "base.crowbar"), etc. The more I think about this idea, the bigger the implications are.

I can condense Cheat Menu by removing the menu code, so I could use the flexible foundation I built it on for the admin cheats. Once I figure out how to create a input bar like the one Necroforge uses for searching items, I could easily use the getPlayer():Say() function that's already built into the game.

I'm thinking of making a mod that has the player saying things when conditions are met (like out of ammo), the chat bar with singleplayer admin commands, and maybe an options menu so you can tweak it to your hearts desire and maybe enable some optional features like one that silences the jump scare sound and instead has the player say something.

Since I was messing around with conditional player speech a few days ago, I had a prototype that muted the jump scare sound without editing any files and having the player say a random line (like "Oh shit!", "There's an enemy on my tail!", "IT'S A TRAP").  I could also have the conditional player speech lines be random, instead of it always being (for example) "I'm out of ammo!" when you run out of ammo, it would randomly pick different lines (for example, "I'm out!", "It's empty!", etc.)

I like the idea. I rarely notice this after myself, but when I'm alone I'm really vocal and often end up talking to myself excessively. Cursing out loud at every little thing, yelling at my cat for annoying me... Now, at the times of apocalypse it might be different, but otherwise I really like the idea of it.

Warning: The incoming text wall ...

Pfft... Casual. :D

Some good progress:
I've got the chat bar working. I'm working out a few kinks atm, but it's almost ready. After that, all I need to do is a little string manipulation.

For the conditions, since I already had a working prototype of something kind of like this idea, it shouldn't be too hard.

As for the actual admin commands, I was able to strip down ISUICheatMenu to a core. After skimming the code that it used to create a context menu, it left a flexible framework I can use.

Wow I thought this was dead. Guess not C:

Just curious, what kind of conditions for speech should I check for? The game has a really flexible lua engine, so I could detect just about anything.

I've already got the chatbar working, with a built in command handler, and a single-line Lua interpreter (meaning modders could test out methods ingame and see what they do, without restarting it over and over again)

hmmm realistically just basic things would be good in the dream world however everything that one can comment on would be awesome xD

(but obviously whatever is easiest to do) 

I've already gone a bit overboard, probably wouldn't be too hard to have a huge collection of phrases for different events

The thing that has taken so long to develop is the actual chat panel. The chat history is a pain to figure out.

Quick development update: Chat history now works, chat bar is fully functional, and the lua interpreter and commands now work. Now that the singleplayer chat/admin commands/lua interpreter is functional, I'll start to add the rest of the commands and then move onto the conditional speech. Mod is almost done now.

Just curious, what kind of conditions for speech should I check for? The game has a really flexible lua engine, so I could detect just about anything.

I've already got the chatbar working, with a built in command handler, and a single-line Lua interpreter (meaning modders could test out methods ingame and see what they do, without restarting it over and over again)

I've got some ideas.

• Getting tired:  "Yaaaaaawn."
  • Waking up after sleeping on anything other than a couch or a bed: "Argh... that was not very comfortable." "I must've slept on back funny... ow..."
  • Waking up at night: "uh... what time is it?"
  • Waking up in the morning: "What a weird dream...", "Another beautiful day in paradise..."
  • Waking up when depressed: "I don't really want to get out of bed..." "Fuck. Not this shit again."  "Ahhh! What a horrible nightmare!"
  • Extremely Heavy Load: "Ouch! I think I pulled something!"  "HNNNNGGGG"
  • Hungry: "I could MURDER a bucket of chicken right now." "I'd better find some food."
  • Starving: "I'm so hungry..."
  • Boredom: " *sigh* ",  "Fuck I'm bored."
  • Boredom and What Was Lost is playing: "bum ba, ba-da-da-dum da, ba da da dum da, ba da da dum da"
  • Bitten: "Oh no... no! No! No!" "I won't turn into one of them... right?"
  • Nauseous: "Augh... my stomach... gonna hurl..."
  • Very Sick: "I don't wanna die like this..."
  • Left with very slight damage after zombie attack: " 'Tis but a flesh wound!"
  • Thirsty: "I need to drink something."
  • Very Thirsty: "My mouth is as dry as a desert!"
  • Drinking water after very thirsty: "*Slurrrrrrrrrrrrp*"
  • Hot: "*pants*"
  • Very Hot: "I'm melting... ahh... what's with this heat..."
  • Cold: "*shivers*" "Hey... I can see my breath..."
  • Very Cold: "F-f-freezing... t-t-t-to... d-d-death...."
  • Cold and it's about to snow: "Is that? No... it can't be..."
  • Fishing and didn't catch anything: "They aren't biting today..."
  • Fishing and Line breaks: "Fuck! Almost had that one. Little bastard broke the line. Damnit"
  • Fishing and catch garbage: "What the hell is this crap?"
  • Panicked: "Oh shit!" "AHH!"
  • Very Panicked: "STAY AWAY FROM ME!" "BACK OFF!" "AHHHH!" "HOLY SHIT!" "HELP ME!!!"
  • Hearing thumping nearby: "What was that?"
  • Hearing dog barking/screaming/gunshot: "What the fuck was that?"
  • Hearing zombie groans: "Not those things again..."
  • Hearing helicopters: "HEY!!!  OVER HERE!!! HELP MEE! OVER HERE! WAIT! COME BACK! HEY!!!!  Damnit..."
  • While around a lot of dead bodies, or moving a corpse: "Oh my god... The smell!"  "*gags*" "this smells awful"
  • When sitting by a campfire (a random campfire song):
    • "Irene goodnight, Irene goodnight. Goodnight, Irene, goodnight, Irene, I'll see you in my dreams..."
    • " Val-der-ri, val-der-ra Val-der-ra, val-der-ha ha ha ha ha ha Val-der-ri, val-der-ra..."
    •  One bright day in the middle of the night, Two dead boys got up to fight, Back to back the faced each other, Drew their swords and shot each other. A deaf police man heard the noise, So he came and shot those two dead boys. If you don't believe this lie is true, Ask the blind man he saw too."
    • "Swing low, sweet chariot, Comin' for to carry me home; Swing low, sweet chariot, Comin' for to carry me home."

I've got some ideas.

• Waking up after sleeping on anything other than a couch or a bed: "Argh... that was not very comfortable." "I must've slept on back funny... ow..."
  • Waking up in the morning: "What a weird dream...", "Another beautiful day in paradise..."
  • Waking up when depressed: "I don't really want to get out of bed..." "Fuck. Not this shit again."  "Ahhh! What a horrible nightmare!"
  • Hungry: "I could MURDER a bucket of chicken right now." "I'd better find some food."
  • Boredom and What Was Lost is playing: "bum ba, ba-da-da-dum da, ba da da dum da, ba da da dum da"
  • Fishing and Line breaks: "Fuck! Almost had that one. Little bastard broke the line. Damnit"
  • Very Panicked: "STAY AWAY FROM ME!" "BACK OFF!" "AHHHH!" "HOLY SHIT!" "HELP ME!!!"
  • Hearing helicopters: "HEY!!!  OVER HERE!!! HELP MEE! OVER HERE! WAIT! COME BACK! HEY!!!!  Damnit..."
  • While around a lot of dead bodies, or moving a corpse: "Oh my god... The smell!"  "*gags*" "this smells awful"
    • "Irene goodnight, Irene goodnight. Goodnight, Irene, goodnight, Irene, I'll see you in my dreams..."
    • " Val-der-ri, val-der-ra Val-der-ra, val-der-ha ha ha ha ha ha Val-der-ri, val-der-ra..."
    •  One bright day in the middle of the night, Two dead boys got up to fight, Back to back the faced each other, Drew their swords and shot each other. A deaf police man heard the noise, So he came and shot those two dead boys. If you don't believe this lie is true, Ask the blind man he saw too."
    • "Swing low, sweet chariot, Comin' for to carry me home; Swing low, sweet chariot, Comin' for to carry me home."

These are awesome.

I'll work on it ASAP

Edit: Well, I got a framework up and running for me to throw any speech tables at. I don't know if I can detect certain sounds or if I could detect sitting around a camp fire, but the rest can be handled easily.

I've got some ideas.

Done!

Added most of these, including the campfire songs. Also, I added about ~100 more lines in total :P